Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Genre? "Indie" K-Rock

So I noticed on the Charts there is this band that claims to be "indie Rock" that is sort of funny for Korea. I remember when "techno" used to be a new Genre in Korea and E.O.S. was the epitome of it with this song.


Then there was Pi Pi Band who brought Rock mainstream and a little indie but totally different then Kim Jeong Seo and Seotaiji. I'd like to say Pi Pi Band was my first "Indie" Korean band. They came out in 1995. I remember controvesy over them, the weird girl and her short dyed hair rocking it out with a megaphone. If I remember correctly she was also the daughter of some diplomate or government official at the time.


Followed by Ju Ju Club in 1996


Well here is that new group anyways not so impressive In my opinion. To me they fit into a more "Rock Ballad" Category instead of "indie" Maybe they don't listen to know american indie rock to really understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment